Western Governors University (WGU) and WGU Academy (Academy) provide need-based grants to newly enrolling and reenrolling students who meet the requirements for consideration and award.
Grant Program Details
The College Readiness Academic Bootcamp is provided by WGU Academy. Service to Scholars is a grant which can be applied to both Academy and WGU tuition and fees.
- The WGU Academy portion of the grant covers:
- Tuition and fees for a program lasting up to 4 months, a value of $800
- While at WGU:
- Waived Application Fee: $65
- Term 1 Grant: $1,000
- Term 2 Grant: $1,000
- Term 3 Grant: $650
- Term 4 Grant: $650
- Term 5 Grant: $650
This grant is available to students who enroll in and complete WGU Academy, then enroll at WGU to achieve their bachelor's degree. Grant awards will not be made on any factors considered discriminatory under U.S. law.
Applicants are considered eligible if they meet all of the following qualifications:
- An active duty Servicemember or a Veteran discharged or released under honorable conditions, OR the spouse of an active duty Servicemember or Veteran discharged or released under honorable conditions
- Low Income, at the discretion of the Service to Scholars Grant award committee
- Students must be enrolled prior to January 12, 2022. Dedicated cohort begins January 13, 2022, from 6:00-7:30 pm EST and runs weekly through February 24, 2022
- Live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, which for the purpose of this grant is defined as the following area:
- Cities: Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton, or Newport News; or Counties: Isle of Wight, Franklin, Southampton, Smithfield, Surry, Poquoson, York, Williamsburg, James City, or Gloucester
Students will need to accept terms and conditions via email before grant will be disbursed. Additional terms and conditions may be provided to grant awardees and will need to be accepted upon receipt.